Prepare time: 15 min Cook: 30 min Serves: 4 Cuisine: Andhra
- Beetroot 3, medium sized, peeled and finely grated (2 heaped cups of grated beetroot)
- Fresh coriander 3 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil 2 tbsp
- For podi
- Urad dal 1 tbsp
- Dry red chilies 3-4 (adjust), tear and de-seed
- Coriander seeds 2 tbsps
- Roasted peanuts 1 tbsp (optional)
- Tamarind paste 1 tsp
- Jaggery 1 tsp
- For tempering:
- Oil 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves 4-5 leaves
Method for making Beetroot fry recipe Andhra style
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add urad dal and saute till almost golden in color, approx 4 mins. Add coriander seeds and red chilies and saute on low flame for 4-5 mins. Turn off heat and remove to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add asafoetida and saute for a few seconds. Add the curry leaves and immediately add the grated beetroot. and saute for approx 4 mins on medium flame. Reduce flame, place lid and cook the beetroot until rawness disappears. In between, stir to combine.
- In a mixer grinder, add the set aside roasted spice mixture, jaggery, tamarind paste and roasted peanuts and grind to a coarse powder.
- Add the ground mixture to the cooked beetroot and mix well. Add fresh coriander leaves and allow to cook on low flame for approx 6-7 mins. Turn off flame.
- Remove to a serving bowl and serve with steamed rice or chapati.