Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: South Indian
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 people
- Cut the cauliflower into medium sized florets, wash thoroughly in running water, put them in a bowl with two cups of water, turmeric and salt and let them soak in it for 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a strainer to drain. Set them aside.
- Meanwhile grind together the pepper masala ingredients in a dry/wet grinder and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or kadai. Toss in the dried red chillies, fresh curry leaves and when they begin to sizzle and change colour, add the cauliflower florets.
- Sauté well till they turn golden brown.
- Now add the ground pepper masala then add 2 tablespoons of water and mix well. Turn over and sauté well till the water evaporates and the pepper masala coats the cauliflower. Taste and adjust the salt according to your bliss point.
- The cauliflower pepper fry is now ready to enjoy with rice or rotis.
- You could add more green chillies or black pepper according to your spice level.
2. Drain the cauliflower florets well before tossing them in the tempered hot oil to avoid any spluttering of oil or burns.
3. The Cauliflower absorbs enough salt from soaking in salted water so there’s no need to add more salt, but you could do a taste testing in the end and check to see if it needs more. And if you want to add more salt do sprinkle a little water after adding it then sauté till the water evaporates.