Prepare time: 15 min Cook: 60 min Serves: 6 Cuisine: Andhra
- Chicken 1 kg, bite-sized pieces
- Lemon juice 1/2 tbsp
- Oil 1/2 tbsp
- Onions 2, large. finely chopped
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Green chilies 6-8, slit lengthwise (adjust)
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder 1 3/4 Tsp
- Cooking oil 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast and grind to a fine powder
- Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cloves 3
- Cinnamon stick 1/2″
- Green cardamom 1
- Poppy seeds 3/4 tbsp gasagasalu/khus khus
Method for making Spicy chicken curry recipe
- Marinate the chicken in 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, oil and lemon juice for 20 mins. (while the chicken is marinating do the rest of the prep work and saute onions)
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel, add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, and cardamom. Roast on low flame for 4 mins, mixing constantly. Add poppy seeds and continue to roast for a min. Turn off flame. Remove the roasted ingredients from vessel and cool.
- Once cool, grind to a fine powder in a mixer grinder or crush in a mortar pestle.
- Heat oil In the same vessel, once hot, add the chopped onions, slit green chilies and curry leaves and saute for 8 mins on low to medium flame.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 5 mins.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook on high flame for 5 mins, mixing the contents of the vessel so that it does not burn.
- Reduce flame to low, add 3/4 tsp red chili powder and mix well. Add the ground masala powder, and salt and mix well. Place lid and cook for 10-12 mins on a low medium flame.
- Add 2 cups water, bring to a boil. Reduce flame to low and simmer till the chicken turns soft and it reaches gravy consistency.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix. Turn off flame, remove to a serving bowl and serve hot.
- Serve with raju gari kodi pulao, chicken pulao, biryani, any flavored rice, steamed rice or chapati.